Canaan Smith is already on his way to becoming one of country music’s breakout stars. Signed to Florida Georgia Line‘s Round Here Records, the married father of one is working on an album, and soaking up the unexpected time at home in 2020.
Fortunately, Canaan also found time to answer 11 of our burning questions, covering everything from his career, to his home life and much, much more. Read his answers below.
1. If you weren’t a singer, what do you think you would be?
I would love to be a trail guide.
2. You have a completely free weekend – how are you going to spend it?
With my family, somewhere in the great outdoors.
3. What’s your favorite camping spot?
I would have to say backcountry in Sisters, Oregon. It’s absolutely gorgeous out there.
4. What is the one song that you wish you had written?
“Take Me Home, Country Roads.” Such a classic.
5. What has been the biggest surprise about fatherhood for you?
After having Virginia, our day-to-day pace of life shifted so much, which I didn’t anticipate. Being a creature of habit, that definitely took a while for me to get used to.
6. What has been the biggest challenge about being home because of the pandemic?
Balancing my time between work and family is something I’ve struggled with a bit, but I’m grateful for this time at home to be able to experience so many firsts with Virginia.
7. If you had one last meal, what would it be?
A delicious plate of spaghetti.
8. Where are the three places you think everyone should visit in or around Nashville at least once in their lives?
9. Take your pick – a “Cabin in the Woods” or a tent in the woods?
No tent in the woods. I’d rather fall asleep directly under the stars.
10. What’s your go-to restaurant in or around Nashville?
I’ve honestly forgotten what it’s like to go out to because I’ve been eating at home so much lately, but Mas Tacos has always been one of my favorites!
11. What is one surprising thing that people might not know about you?
I have to make sure the bed gets made every single morning.